Sunday, August 29, 2010

critical thinking

CRITICAL THINKING:  ONE PERSON’S PERSPECTIVE
I have been fortunate to read many theories on critical thinking, from my text, Psychology in Action (9th edition), Karen Huffman, the Wikepedia definition, my colleagues in this process as well as the various views put forth in the web site Foundation for Critical Thinking.  
I appreciate the various views, discussions and strategies involved in critical thinking, but I wonder:  is it as complicated as all that?
I have seen critical thinking described as a process, and from that I infer that we are not only constantly developing our critical thinking skills (which requires practice) but constantly reevaluating our thoughts on a subject pursuant upon new information.  The most important foundations to me are to practice, be open to new and opposing view points, check for emotion and bias, and be willing to change one’s mind.  I suspect that being open to other’s opinions and a willingness to change one’s mind might be the most difficult aspect for certain individuals.  Changing one’s cognitive process on an issue may, for some, seem like a failure in the previous cognition.  However, just as I present many theories in class on everything from the conscious to the unconscious, I remind my students that a theory is one description of why we we behave the way that we do.  I hope that I am not flawed in my teaching by telling students:  “Take what makes sense, for yourself, but make an attempt to understand the rest, and to remember it.”  At some point in time, through experience, the other points, those that may not have made sense at the time, may become clear and even applicable.  
As we grow and go through life experiences, our thought process, according to the definition, should change as well.  Accept change, empathize, welcome divergent views, tolerate ambiguity and, difficult, delay making a decision until you have more information (Huffman, 2010).  
Therefore, accept that what you know, and how you think, today, may be different tomorrow. Respect opposing viewpoints (I am a big promoter/referee in class on this point), gather information, check personal bias, do not fear changing your mind, and understand that it is okay not to know, for now.  
For example, growing up staunchly Catholic, I firmly believed in one marriage for a lifetime, for myself and everyone else. Experience has given me the opportunity to change my mind on that subject (frankly forced would be a better word).  I should also state that I have given great critical thought to the institutions of organized religion as well.  
To summarize, allow your cognitive process to be open and evolving.  Critical thinking is about adapting your cognitions to new material and experiences.  With that will come practice, a check on bias and the allowance of ambiguity.  Allow it to be a lifelong process.
References:
Huffman, K. (2010).  Psychology in action (9th ed.)  John Wiley & Sons.
Paul, R. & Elder, L. (2001). Modified from the book by Paul, R. & Elder, L. (2001).  Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Learning and Your Life.
Critical thinking (2010).  Retrieved from http://en.wikepedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

No comments:

Post a Comment